Pages

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Diapers - Disposals or Cloth?

Alright, hands down cloth is 1000x's better for the environment and I have to admit this is the one place where I didn't do the best thing for the environment. I use disposable diapers. I know, I know, but Ellery started daycare at three months and I daycare won't allow it. OK, I am being honest, I was lazy and didn't want to deal with it so I took the blind eye approach. But I did a ton of research on this and the found out that ONE diaper takes 500 years to decompose. Yep, 500 years! But even knowing this it wasn't enough for me to not use disposable. Maybe something needs to change about that? Hmmmm....

BUT, like I said I did a ton of research on compostable diapers, cloth diapers, and the combo diaper - known as the G Diaper. Here is my review of this based on my testing and research:


G Diaper: This is a great diaper, but man it is bulky. My daughter inherited my bubble butt, so with her genetic disposition for tight pants, it was hard to use the G diaper; but I found that it was pretty easy to dispose of her mess after she used it. If she was just going to sport the diaper and not wear it under pants, it worked perfectly, but that wasn't enough to hook me. I never finished using them, I ended up giving my remaining inserts and diapers to a friend who is having a baby.




Cloth Diapers: I never did use cloth diapers, so for all of you moms out there who used them - I pose the question to you:  How easy is it really? I did do some research on it and found for $100-$150.00 a month I could have a diaper service come to the house and drop diapers and take the dirty ones. You just had to rinse out the poo and store them for the month. Now can you do this when your kid is in daycare? This is a serious question - I have no idea. So I passed on this option.

Compostable/Biodegradable Diapers: Alright I found another company, Bamboo Nature, who was the most helpful company I have come across in my research. I will say that I never did use their diaper, but I got an amazing email from their staff helping me understand how diapers decompose and why its good and bad. Their diaper works like a typical Huggies Diaper and can be thrown away. The only downside is the cost. If anyone has used them, write a review. I will tell you that they are amazingly smart and informed. If you every want to read the email they sent me about this...shoot me an email. I will pass it along.



And the fact is all of these options are still more expensive. But is the expense worth the impact? It shouldn't be but as I said before I didn't go down this path.

No comments:

Post a Comment